The present building stands on the site of two earlier churches, built in the 16th and 17th centuries, respectively. Although the construction work began in 1723, it was not completed until 1800.
The church has a nave and two aisles. There are two entrances, one at the west front, opening onto Plaza de la Constitución, and the other on the east side. The brick bell tower is located on the left side of the front façade.
The interior is decorated with several altarpieces. Outstanding among them is the main altarpiece, made in the neoclassical style by Francisco de Acosta and Antonio Chamarro. The 18th-century image of Our Lady of Grace, to whom the church is dedicated, stands in the central niche.
The left aisle contains an altarpiece made by José Fernando de Medinilla in 1732, which includes the images of the Christ of the True Cross and Our Lady of Sorrows, the town’s patron saint, made by Juan de Astorga in 1819. There are also paintings of John the Apostle, Mary Magdalene and Christ Carrying the Cross.
Another altarpiece in the same aisle features a statue of Saint Bridget. There is an altarpiece in the right aisle with Our Lady of the Candles. Both images date from the 18th century and came from the chapel of Santa Brígida (Saint Bridget) that was destroyed during the Peninsular War in the early 19th century.
There is also a 17th-century relief of Our Lady of Antigua in the right aisle. This church is home to a statue of Our Lady of Guadalupe from 1675.