Santiponce Itálica

Heritage

An immense legacy waiting to be discovered

Ntra. Sra. de Gracia Church and San Francisco Convent

67
2

The Convent, located on the Cerro de San Cristóbal, was founded by the second Marquis of Estepa, Juan Bautista Centurión, just four years after the foundation of the Santa Clara Convent.

The present-day Convent on the hill is not the original one, as it was destroyed in 1835 when the Franciscans had to abandon the Convent due to the Mendizábal’s famous Secularisation and Confiscation Law. The construction of the current Convent began in the mid-19th century and completed in 1904. 

Both Convent and Church were built on the site of the Shrine to San Cristóbal. The Shrine was donated on the condition that the images of Saint Christopher and Our Lady of Grace would preside the high altar. 

Today, the statue of St Christopher is next to the entrance to the Church, where he used to stand in the other temple. 
The Church has a proto-baroque portal crowned by a broken pediment. Above the pediment is a Seville School tile panel of Saint Francis. 

Also noteworthy is the neoclassical-style bell tower to the right of the church entrance. Once inside, there is an image of St Francis of Assisi, attributed to the sculptor Luis Salvador Carmona, who is also the author of Our Father Jesus the Nazarene. This statue is taken in procession on Good Friday through Estepa’s streets.

0 comments

New comment

The comments are moderated, so it takes a while to appear. If they contain offensive language they will not be published.