The Mañara Palace is a palatial house in a basically Renaissance style. The illustrious philanthropist Miguel de Mañara, promoter and benefactor of the Brotherhood and Charity Hospital, was born in the palace. It is located in the centre of the former aljama or old Jewish quarter of Seville, which included the area between the Alcazar and the vicinity of the Carmona Gate.
Belonging to an ancient Islamic origin, in the 15th century a new building was built, which was called Casa Mudéjar, which in turn was to be demolished by Mr Juan de Almanza in order to superimpose the current palace, which faithfully follows the typical style of the Renaissance. In 1623 it was bought by Mr Tomás de Mañara y Colonna, a docker of the docker, who adapted the building to the fashion of his time. The Palace was named after his son, Mr Miguel de Mañara and Vicentelo de Lecca. During the 18th and 20th centuries it had the most diverse uses: domestic, military, industrial, religious and, finally, school purposes.
The cover of the Mañara Palace dates from 1540. It is flanked by two columns of Tuscan order, whose pedestals are decorated with reliefs depicting crossed coats of arms. The pictorial decoration on this façade, which was discovered during the last restoration, contains a variety of elements: the pilasters are decorated with imitation ashlars, while the rest of the wall is decorated with bricks.
In 1989 the Palace was bought by the Andalusian Government as an institutional headquarters. It is currently the headquarters of the Directorate General for Cultural Heritage of the Andalusian Regional Government.