This convent houses magnificent works of art and important archives.
The convent of Santa María la Real was originally founded on 13 December 1409, the feast of Saint Lucy, in Calle San Vicente, Seville. The nuns were joined by others from the convent of Nuestra Señora del Valle in Seville in 1511.
After the confiscation of church properties by Mendizábal in 1835, the nuns were joined by the community from Santa María de Gracia Monastery, also in Seville. After many hardships and the need to sell part of the building to undertake maintenance work, the nuns were joined by the community from the convent of Santa María de los Reyes in Seville’s Calle Santiago and some nuns from Segovia in 1972. Finally, on 7 October 1976, a new monastery was opened on lands belonging to the Los Candeleros estate in the municipality of Bormujos.
A new merger took place in 1992, this time with the nuns from the convent of Santa Catalina in Osuna.
The nuns make artisanal confectionery products with top-quality ingredients and no chemical preservatives, using traditional recipes handed down since the convent’s foundation on 13 December 1409.