The Andalusia Line’s telegraph tower-fortress for the Puertollano-Cádiz section was built between 1850 and 1853 and remained in use until 1857. The tower, built as a fortress, was guarded by paramilitary troops with rifles. When it was abandoned, the Guardia Civil guarded the building to avoid its use as a fortress by criminals or rebels.
This tower was built in mid-19th-century by the Ministry of Interior. It was part of the Andalusia Telegraph Line used by the Minister to communicate with the civil governors of Seville and Cadiz. The Regional Ministry of Public Works and Transport in Seville published in 2006 the book “Optical telegraphy in Andalusia” with a list of all the towers that existed between Madrid and Cadiz.