Santiponce Itálica

Heritage

An immense legacy waiting to be discovered

Church of Nuestra Señora de la Victoria y del Espíritu Santo

49
0

This church has its origin in the old church of the Convent of San Francisco de Paula, of the Order of the Minims, founded in 1584, when the Duke of Osuna gave permission for the convent and church to be founded in the chapel of San Sebastián, taking the name of Nuestra Señora de la Victoria in commemoration of the victory at the Battle of Lepanto.

Built between the late 16th and early 17th centuries, it has a rectangular floor plan and a single nave with five sections of niches in the walls and an independent main chapel.

In its interior, you can admire the 9 metre high Main Altarpiece, which houses the Virgen de la Victoria (18th century) and a Crucified Christ (17th century) with very beautiful features. The magnificent Reclining Christ (17th century), by Luis Peña, in the Chapel of El Pilar, is another fine piece. On the side panels of the Main Altarpiece there are paintings from the last third of the 17th century. The Main Chapel has a coffered ceiling decorated with Mudejar-style cedar wood latticework (XVII century).

Other noteworthy features are its stone doorway with an image of San Francisco de Paula and its brick tower with a lower cylindrical section, an upper octagonal section and a pyramidal spire.

0 comments

New comment

The comments are moderated, so it takes a while to appear. If they contain offensive language they will not be published.