The Chapel of the Vera Cruz or True Cross is a baroque architectural masterpiece from the second half of the 18th century. It is characterised by exuberant details, particularly in the chapel’s historic fine-brick façade. Built on the remains of the original 16th-century Shrine, it is now dedicated to the Christ of the Santa Vera Cruz or Holy True Cross. It is the only religious building in the town with a central floor plan.
The first references on its existence date back to 1602. The chapel collapsed in the 1755 Lisbon earthquake. The reconstruction began following this disaster. In 1780, the building was completed and opened to the faithful. In the 19th century, under the protection of the Zayas and Benjumea family, additions were made to the rear of the building. In 1936, during the Spanish Civil War, the chapel was plundered, and all its sacred images disappeared. The building was left in a state of total abandonment.
On 20 May 2003, the Confraternity of the Vera Cruz commissioned a restoration project of the Church. On 20 November 2004, it was consecrated again as a place of worship by the Cardinal Archbishop of Seville, Fray Carlos Amigo Vallejo.
The building has a large dome over the central section and two barrel-vaulted, rectangular side chapels. The main altar has a modern roof structure. Both the triumphal arch and the arch over the main entrance are mixtilinear with a decorative moulding that is exceptionally elegant, as is the building itself.
The carved-brick entrance is composed of double balustrade columns that support the embellishments. These elements are arranged at angles on each side of the main entrance, which is completed with a mixtilinear arch of thick, paired mouldings.