Santiponce Itálica

Heritage

An immense legacy waiting to be discovered

Chapel of the Milagrosa

76
2

It was initially built in the 16th century as a Shrine to Our Lady of Grace. It was home to the Augustinian Order until they moved to the current Convent of San Agustín circa 1616. From 1670 to 1780, it was an all-girls school run by the Beatas Educandas de Santa Isabel. Later, in 1836, it became a charity hospital run by the Daughters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul until the late 20th century.

Architecturally, the building is a baroque convent with a very simple structure that was adapted and renovated over the years to accommodate different uses. The chapel preserves the rectangular structure of the old shrine, a Mudejar-style ceiling and a Sacristy next to the Presbytery. Highlights in the recently restored hospital building include the beautiful square cloister, around which the rooms are situated. Some rooms have magnificent 17th-century Mudejar ceilings.

0 comments

New comment

The comments are moderated, so it takes a while to appear. If they contain offensive language they will not be published.