This is a Muslim castle, probably Almohad or even earlier. It was transformed and adapted as a residence for the Lords of Fuentes between the 15th and 16th centuries. In the early 14th century, King Alfonso XI bestowed the Castle upon Alvar Pérez de Guzmán. It was subsequently sold to Alfonso Fernández, who founded the entailed estate of Castillo de Fuentes in 1378, giving the lineage its name. In the 17th century, the castle-palace underwent another renovation to adapt it further as a residence.
The Castle occupied a strategic position of control over the old trade roads, such as Carril de la Lana, which passed through the town. The structure of the Castle has remained virtually intact, although its original features are concealed by the buildings attached over time. Flanking towers stand in the four corners of the Castle and in the middle of each side. The original entrance to the compound, which is bricked up, was a pointed arch framed with an alfiz. A new access has been opened.
The keep is located next to the entrance. It consists of two floors with superposed chambers and a roofed upper floor. The original entrance, covered by a barrel vault, faced the parade ground. A vaulted cistern stands in the centre of the compound.
Several alteration works were carried out in the 15th and 16th centuries, and renovation works in the 17th century. These works sought to adapt the Castle for its new residential use. However, its use likely declined around the second half of the 17th century.