The 18th-century residential architecture acquired an extraordinary dimension in Seville’s countryside, as it reflected the resurgence of the agrarian economy in towns and villages. The “Casa del Aire” is an excellent example of the quality, flexibility and functionality of baroque architecture, particularly as regards the number of windows to the outside, its grand display of space and the suitable architectural solution that combines nobility and practicality.
Recent restoration works have made it possible to regain the intense activity that used to exist in the building, including the preservation of its original shutters and part of the original flooring, which was added in the 19th and 20th centuries. The house had a main entrance opening onto the square that was replaced to use it as a viewpoint or veranda. The façade looking over Veracruz Street follows the curve in the street, creating rows of windows that bring extraordinary elegance, only to finally merge with the Chapel of La Veracruz. This façade is one of the most harmonious ensembles of Andalusian baroque urbanism.
The main courtyard preserves an exceptional panel of tiles dated 1927, attributed to Juan Miguel Sánchez. They reflect the prevailing aesthetics of the Ibero-American Exposition in Seville, whereby traditional customs were combined with avant-garde trends at the time.
The renovation project began in December 2000 and was completed in October 2010. It was carried out mostly through employment workshops to encourage the hiring of young unemployed people in the municipality.
It currently houses the Municipal School of Music and Dance "Casa del Aire", the Museum of Women in Flamenco, the cultural flamenco club Peña Cultural Flamenca Pastora Pavón "Niña de los Peines" and the Polyphonic Chorus "Tomás Luis de Victoria".