Santiponce Itálica

Heritage

An immense legacy waiting to be discovered

Caños de Carmona (Pipes of Carmona)

109
0

They are named after the door through which the water entered Seville (Puerta de Carmona), as this liquid came from the Santa Lucía spring in Alcalá de Guadaíra. Seville was supplied by an aqueduct formed by brick arches in two superimposed orders. This work has always generated debate about its Muslim or Roman origin. Many historians place its construction around 68-65 BC, the time of Julius Caesar as quaestor of the town, but it was almost completely rebuilt by the Muslims.

During the Almohad period, it ended at the Puerta de Carmona, where a large tank had been built from which water was distributed to various parts of the town, being used by the wealthier classes, for irrigation in the Huertas del Rey (Buhayra), the Reales Alcázares, as well as supplying some public fountains.

Caliph Abu Yaqub Yusuf, on 13 February 1172, came to inaugurate this work. It is estimated that the aqueduct provided 5,000 m3 of drinking water per day through a piping of about seventeen kilometres in length.

This brick pillow factory combines slightly lowered semicircular arches interspersed with others of smaller radius. Depending on the level, arches can be arranged in more than one row, creating different heights.

0 comments

New comment

The comments are moderated, so it takes a while to appear. If they contain offensive language they will not be published.