The Lisbon earthquake destroyed the old town hall. In 1763, it was decided to appoint two architects to build a new building. The project submitted to the Royal Academy of Fine Arts by the local master-builder Alonso Ruiz Florindo was rejected owing to its baroque style. The design that was ultimately accepted was by Ventura Rodríguez, the Court’s chief architect. It consisted of a neoclassical-style building, devoid of ornaments, that was eminently functionalist. The main appeal of the building is that it is one of three works in Andalusia by this renowned architect.