Santiponce Itálica

Heritage

An immense legacy waiting to be discovered

Arco de la Pastora

83
0

This arch is located on what was formerly known as Ecija's Gate, between Cervantes Square and Alfonso XII Street. Its origin dates back to 1796, as the upper inscription reads "Under the reign of Don Carlos IV and Doña María Luisa de Borbón. Year MDCCXCVI".

In neoclassical style, its symmetry and concision are worthy of note. The large central semi-circular arch which supports the construction is topped with an unadorned frieze. Above the frieze is a majestic, triangular pediment, which stands out in the ensemble. There is a four-sided bracket with inscriptions in the pediment. Three pinnacles rise above the pediment that elegantly closes the ensemble.

This is the only building of its kind in Osuna today and the most representative icon of the city.

0 comments

New comment

The comments are moderated, so it takes a while to appear. If they contain offensive language they will not be published.