Located atop a strategic hill to the south of the town, Alanís’ most emblematic building has been a silent witness of the historical events of the town since the late fourteenth century, when it likely built.
It has a hexagonal plan, with a tower and a barbican, which has now disappeared. Its 2.3-metre wide and 6.5-metre high walls have only one access on the north side, from where the town can be overlooked. The French attacked the Castle during the Napoleonic occupation, destroying the southwest wall with dynamite. The ruins of this wall remain today.
The Castle of Arab origin was restructured in 1392. In 1808, the French stocked the Castle with artillery given its strategic location.