The ancient 14th century shrine was built in the municipality of Azuaga and Enrique Infante de Aragón, Grand Master of the Order of Santiago, ceded part of the municipality of Azuaga to Guadalcanal on 10 April 1428.
The Utrera Castle is located on a natural hill. It consists of curtain walls with defensive towers at the corners and between walls. The core area within dates from before the 14th century. Over time, the walled area expanded to 18 hectares, encompassing the Castle and 38 towers.