Seville, beautiful and diverse

Founded as a "Museum of Paintings" in 1835, it opened in 1841 with works from confiscated convents and monasteries, occupying the former Convent of La Merced Calzada, founded by San Pedro Nolasco after the conquest of Seville in 1248.

After the reconquest of Seville in 1248 by the sanctified King Ferdinand III of Castile, the same king gave some houses in 1251 to Mr Raimundo de Losana, bishop of Segovia, so that he could settle in the town. These houses were built on Almohad constructions that were in turn built on a thermal complex from the Roman era.